More Stuff

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life Lesson #8 from the Coach's Daughter

It is June 2, 2010 and I am amazed at how fast this year has sped by me. I want to tell you about my Grandpa Tate today. He was a teacher and then a salesman until well into his 90's. Grandpa had a homemade open air closet constructed out on his sun porch to keep all his marketing gadget inventory. He kept this under lock and key and of course it is the only place in the house that any of his grandchildren wanted to go and explore. Grandpa would invite us to the porch and he would unlock the door. He would crack the door open just wide enough to slide in and rummage around for a magical prize. It would be a pencil or some other widget that your company name could be printed on. He really understood early on about marketing and the excitement you must create to attract attention.



Grandpa would explain to me why this pencil was the best pencil in the world and why his job was very important. He never did let me into that closet and I believe that was done intentionally. He wanted me to wonder what other magical things were hidden in there. He knew I would crawl up in his lap and beg to get a glimpse! He would laugh really big and we would move on to something else (like who was winning the baseball game). These were special memories for me. I now understand how skilled Grandpa was at selling.



Today's Life Lesson From the Coach's Daughter is...If your job is sales, then you must create mystery, romance, excitement and then showcase value! If you reach out to enough people and tell the story with confidence, integrity, and humor you will build the rapport you need to sell your value and that of your product. Good luck! and thanks Grandpa:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment